The construction of Jakarta’s long-awaited mass rapid transit system has officially commenced following the soft launch of the project by Jakarta Governor Joko Widodo on Thursday.
“After the long wait and 24 years of planning, with God’s mercy I hereby declare that the construction of the MRT project has officially begun,” Joko said on Thursday at the Hotel Indonesia traffic circle.
MRT Jakarta president director Dono Boestami confirmed that construction started on Thursday. He said three underground sections of the MRT are underway.
At the launch, the city administration also announced the MRT tender winners: Shimizu, Obayashi, Wijaya Karya, Jaya Construction and Sumitomo Mitsui.
“The Japan International Cooperation Agency will still join the tender process until we sign the contract with the contractors, we wish for public’s support for this project, especially at the beginning of the construction,” Boestami said.
He said the contractors would find the best way to minimize the traffic chaos during the construction of the project.
Boestami previously said the MRT development project would be divided into two stages, costing a total of 238 billion yen, or about $2.4 billion.
The 40-year loan offered an interest rate of less than 1 percent per year.