Former antigraft chief Antasari Azhar has requested for the Supreme Court to bring in graft convict Susno Duadji to testify in his judicial review to prove his innocence in a murder case.
Antasari’s lawyer, Arif Sahudi, said Susno was serving as the National Police’s detective unit chief when Antasari, the former Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) chairman, was accused of murder back in 2010.
“Susno knows everything why the investigation on Antasari was still carried out even though there was no consent letter to continue the probe from the Attorney General Office,” Arif told Indonesian news portal Detik.com on Thursday.
Arif said that efforts by the Attorney General’s Office to forcefully take Susno to jail would hamper his client’s fight to prove his innocence.
Susno was convicted by the South Jakarta District Court in March 2011 of embezzling Rp 8 billion ($823,000) in security funds for the West Java gubernatorial election in 2008, when he was the provincial police chief. He was also found guilty of taking a Rp 500 million bribe to settle a legal dispute in 2009.
However he refused to be taken into custody by the AGO officers and was taken to the West Java Police station on Wednesday afternoon after he requested protection.
Antasari, who was sentenced to 18 years in 2010 for his role in the murder of businessman Nasrudin Zulkarnaen, filed a case review to prove his innocence last year.
Prosecutors had described the case as a love triangle turned deadly. But Antasari’s lawyers presented new evidence to the court that they said pointed to Antasari’s innocence. On Feb. 13 2012, the Supreme Court announced that it had quashed the efforts of former antigraft czar to clear himself of the murder conviction.
Antasari then filed a judicial review to challenge the part of the Criminal Procedures Code, or KUHAP, which mentioned that a convict can only file a case review once.
“I don’t think it’s fair that I can only file a case review once, even though my legal status has been decided I still think I haven’t received the justice, my case should have been dropped since the beginning because the probe did not have any consent letter from the AGO, I’m just looking for justice,” he said.