Kopassus Member Prevents Jakarta Angkot Rape

By webadmin on 04:49 pm Jul 25, 2012
Category Archive

A rape attempt in a Jakarta angkot was averted thanks to the heroic efforts of a Kopassus member and other motorcyclists.

IS, 31, the victim, was on her way home from her office in Plaza Sentral building in the Semanggi area of Jalan Sudirman late on Monday night when the unfortunate incident began.

It was around 11 p.m. and IS’s boyfriend, who usually picks her up, had to do something else that day. She flagged down a public minivan with the C01 label, which means it runs the Ciledug (Tangerang) – Kebayoran Lama route. Late at night, however, angkots are known to change routes, and the minivan was headed to Senen that night.

“Not many angkots operate at night,” she said on Tuesday. “I’ve taken this angkot to go home before and nothing bad had ever happened.”

The minivan already had three passengers when IS got on the van. Another one got in after her.

IS said she started to worry when the driver started asking her strange questions. She got even more worried when the minivan, a Daihatsu Gran Max, headed to Lapangan Banteng instead of to Harmoni.

All of a sudden, two of the men near hear, aged between 20-30 years old, attacked her.

“When we were near the Pertamina office intersection, the angkot slowed down and the lights went out,” she said. “They closed the door and the windows, so I started shouting.”

Luckily, a member of the Army Special Forces (Kopassus), 2nd Sgt. Nicholas Sandi, was driving nearby on his motorcycle with his girlfriend Anita and heard IS screaming.

Nicholas followed the angkot and banged his helmet against the minivan, asking the driver to stop. Other motorcyclists noticed what was happening and decided to help him.

Seeing that they wouldn’t be able to escape, the angkot driver and the other passengers pushed IS out of the minivan.  

“I was forced to go down, they pushed me to the street when were near the Supreme Court building,” she said.

Nicholas asked his girlfriend, Anita, to assist IS and take her to the nearby Gambir police station while he continued the chase. The chase ended in Dukuh Atas, where Nicholas was able to detain the driver, identified as a 16-year-old with the initials A.A. The suspect is now in custody at the Central Jakarta police station.

His four friends who were in the angkot with him managed to escape, along with IS’s cellphone.

Central Jakarta Police chief Sr. Comr. Angesta Romano Yoyol said A.A. and his friends rented the angkot for Rp 30,000 ($3). They had only planned on robbing passengers, but apparently got “too excited,” he said.

A C01 angkot was also involved in the rape of an 18-year-old university student, JM, in January this year. But no arrests were made.

Suara Pembaruan/Antara/JG