Central Jakarta 7-Eleven Site Of Gang Violence Yet Again

By webadmin on 09:39 pm May 13, 2012
Category Archive

Bayu Marhaenjati

A 7-Eleven outlet in Central Jakarta was the site of violence for the third time in a little over a month when a group of people attacked an vandalized the store early on Friday, but police are unsure if the incidents are related.

Rijal and Tentram, employees of the Salemba Raya store, said five people arrived at the store at about 3:30 a.m. looking for Edi Supriadi, who works there as a security guard.

Two of the men broke a window and cash machine after they couldn’t locate Edi. The others, who remained outside, smashed the main windows with a chair and stones before leaving.

“We still haven’t identified the vehicle they used, but based on the witnesses’ accounts, the perpetrators’ arms had many tattoos,” Jakarta Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Rikwanto said on Friday.

The incident came just three days after two customers were taken to hospital after they were assaulted be a group at the same 7-Eleven outlet.

Edi said that Tuesday’s victims were at the store at about 1 a.m. when one of their friends threw a chair at a customer, starting a fight. Marlon Mailo and Angki Harben were injured while their friends escaped.

Rikwanto said the police are investigating if the two incidents are related. “We haven’t checked the CCTV recording yet. The case is being handled by the Senen subdistrict police,” Rikwanto said.

Last month, a person was killed when a motorcycle gang attacked the store, accosting bystanders before taking valuables and damaging the shop and motorcycles in the area. Anggi Darmawan was killed, while three people — identified as Roby, 21, Ade Firmanto, 20, and Ramadan, 23 — suffered stab wounds.

Rikwanto said the gang was targeting people randomly. “The targets are people hanging around. They are considered common enemies,” he said.

A week prior to the April killing, three motorcycle-gang attacks in Pondok Indah, South Jakarta, and Kemayoran left two people dead and about a dozen injured. It remains unclear whether they were from the same group.

Asked if authorities would review permits for convenient stores to remain open 24 hours, Rikwanto said it was up to the provincial administration to decide.