Two Palestinians detained by Israel without trial who have been on hunger strike in protest are “in grave danger,” Amnesty International warned on Friday.
It said Hassan Safdi and Samer al-Barq have been transferred from Ramle prison, near Tel Aviv, to Assaf Harofeh medical centre.
Amnesty said Safi and Barq have refused food since May 22 and June 21 respectively in protest at their administrative detention, under which a military court can order an individual held without charge for renewable periods of six months.
Barq has not been receiving the “specialized medical treatment he requires,” it said, adding that the two men had been beaten by Israeli wardens on August 13 “for refusing to move to a cell” holding inmates who were not on hunger strike.
The men “are in grave danger as their health deteriorates,” Amnesty warned.
An Israel Prison Service spokeswoman said that “the prisoners are being treated according to their medical condition and the medical authorities’ instructions.”
“Any claim of alleged unlawful excessive use of force should be directed to the unit for investigating wardens,” Sivan Weizman added.
More than 1,500 other Palestinian prisoners, including Safdi, ended a mass hunger strike in support of demands for better conditions in a deal with prison authorities in May.
One of the terms of the accord was that those held without trial in administrative detention would go free at the end of their current term — unless fresh evidence emerged against them.
Safdi went back on hunger strike after his detention order was renewed.